Years of squinting, concentrating, or frowning can cause your skin to furrow and crease. As time passes your skin becomes less elastic and those moderate to severe frown lines remain- even when your muscles aren’t contracting.
With Botox Cosmetic, you can get real, noticeable results and still look like yourself. So, you can still frown or look surprised, but without the wrinkles, and creases between your brows for up to four months. Botox also works on crows feet, and clenching related to headaches and joint/muscle pain.
No surgery. No recovery time.
What is Botox?
Botox is an injected FDA-approved medicine that limits the muscle contractions and movement. It is a neurotoxin that blocks the reception of the nerve impulses and relaxes the muscles that create facial wrinkles, clenching pain or headaches. This makes Botox incredibly popular as both a therapeutic and esthetic solution for wrinkles and/or muscular concerns.
What are the benefits of Botox?
Therapeutic: Botox is a conservative, minimally invasive, and relatively painless therapeutic approach to dental, facial, and head/neck areas. Schedule and appointment to see how Botox can relieve pain or symptoms associated with:
· TMD: Temporomandibular Join Disorder (often known as TMJ Disorder)
· Bruxism: clenching and grinding of the teeth
According to the American Academy of Facial Esthetics research, Botox is a viable treatment for many facial, TMD, and oral dysfunctions, when they are based in the musculature. The therapeutic component works by weakening muscles (the masseter and temporalis muscles which primarily close the jaw) that are overused and cause pain and headaches. During the clenching motion, these muscles become quite sore and refer pain to other areas of the head such as: the upper teeth, lower teeth, behind the ear, behind the eye, and the top of the head. Other muscles that are responsible for pain are the neck and shoulder muscles. Theses muscles can become fatigued by work and postural issues. When treated with Botox the headaches originating in the muscles can completely disappear.
Esthetic: Many individuals come to a dentist not just to cure pain, but to improve their smiles. This is achieved through cosmetic procedures such as teeth whitening or straightening. Now, you can add Botox to that list. As we express our emotions, we wear our life’s experiences on our face.
Facial muscles connect to the underside of the skin. When they contract, they pull the skin and cause it to ripple and crease which eventually results in facial wrinkles. By minimizing these contractions and pulls, we can create a long term smoothing of the skin.
What to Expect with Botox Treatment?
We want you to be comfortable with your Botox treatment and will walk through the entire process prior to administering it. Every single person has a unique facial structure and different goals with their treatment. We administer Botox on the unit. Therefore, you only pay for what we use depending on your needs.
· No Botox will be administered without an initial consultation (typically 20 minutes)
· Your appointment will be approximately 30 minutes which includes facial mapping and injections
· Any injections can hurt, but the needles used for Botox are very small, so pain is usually minimal
· Treatment takes two weeks before you notice the full effect
· A follow up maintenance appointment is required two weeks after your initial injections
· Botox can last between 3 to 6 months depending on the targeted facial muscles and dosage
· For best results, you will need to return every 4 months for treatment
The safety of Botox is well known because of the temporary nature, and the fact that it is completely reversible over time with generally no lasting side effects.
The best candidates for treatment with Botox are:
· Between the ages of 18 and 65
· Diagnosed with, and experiencing discomfort from, TMJ
· Concerned with removing wrinkles and fine lines
· Looking for a non-surgical skin treatment
· Aware that Botox results are temporary
· In good physical and psychological health
· Willing to discuss their concerns and desires with their dentist before treatment
If you feel that you are a good candidate for a Botox treatment, and are interested in learning more, please contact our office to schedule a consultation. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have.